National Pretzel Day is April 26th. Here is a savory pretzel recipe for you to try out to celebrate the day, and elevate your pretzel game – a recipe brought to us by Baker By Nature.
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (between 110-115 degrees F)
- 1 package Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
For the Dough:
- Combine water, yeast, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer bowl fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture begins to foam.
- Add the rosemary, flour, and butter and knead on medium speed for 12 minutes.
- Cover dough with a warm damp cloth and place in a warm area of your house to rise for an hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
Assembly and Cooking:
- Combine the shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan in a small bowl. Place the bowl in the freezer until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add water and baking soda to a large pot or dutch oven; bring to a boil.
In the meantime…
- Divide dough into 8 equal rounds.
- Roll each round out into a 16″ rope.
- Roll each rope out so it’s 4 inches wide.
- Remove cheese from freezer. Add 2 tablespoons of cheese filling evenly along the rope.
- Tightly roll the dough back into rope, jelly roll style, pinching the edges together.
- Make a U shape with each rope of dough, holding the ends.
- Cross the ends over each other, pinching ends onto the bottom of the dough.
- Place pretzels – one at a time – into the boiling cooking liquid. Cook for 30 seconds each. Remove pretzels with a slotted spoon, allowing any excess water to drip back into the pot before transferring to prepared baking sheet.
- Once all pretzels have been boiled, brush the tops of each with egg wash.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Allow pretzels to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before touching.
Awesome Pretzel Variations
Have a sweet tooth? Try these delicious chocolate-covered cinnamon sugar pretzels via Half Baked Harvest