This hummus recipe, from Michael Solomonov’s Zahav cookbook, yields a smooth, flavorful, restaurant-style dip great with pita or laffa bread.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice(about 2 large lemons)
- 4 large garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1/4-1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 28 ounces canned chickpeas (about 2 cans)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (for serving, optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for serving, optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (for serving, optional)
- In a food processor, combine lemon juice, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 10 minutes. This step mellows the garlic.
- Add the tahini and cumin, and blend until thick paste forms. While that’s happening, add ½ cup of water and a handful of ice into a measuring cup with a spout. Add the ice water in a thin stream until the sauce takes on a whipped, light, and creamy texture. It will almost double in volume. It should take anywhere from ⅓ to ⅔ cup of ice water. For a thicker hummus, err on the side of less.
- Add the drained chickpeas, and blend until totally smooth and not at all grainy. This could take anywhere from 2-5 minutes, with some occasional scraping down of the bowl. Sometimes I let it run for extra time and busy myself with another kitchen task to ensure the smoothest possible hummus. If you need to, you can add in an extra few streams of ice water along the way.
- Season to taste with more salt (I add an additional ¾ teaspoon, for 1 teaspoon total), lemon juice, or cumin.
- To serve, dollop the hummus in a shallow small bowl or a deep plate. Go ahead and run your spoon in a swirl to make that jazzy restaurant pattern. You earned it. Sprinkle a pinch of paprika over the top, add chopped parsley, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
TIPS & NOTES:
Note: nutrition information is per serving; does not include optional topping ingredients.
HUMMUS NUTRITION FACTS
Calories: 183kcal (9%)Carbohydrates: 8g (3%)Protein: 5g (10%)Fat: 16g (25%)Saturated Fat: 2g (10%)Sodium: 93mg (4%)Potassium: 155mg (4%)Fiber: 2g (8%)Sugar: 1g (1%)Vitamin A: 23IUVitamin C: 5mg (6%)Calcium: 45mg (5%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
More Healthy Summer Favorites