Home>>Healthy Breakfast Burrito
Looking for a tasty but healthy option for breakfast? Love and Lemons has created the perfect burrito variation packed full of nutritious ingredients.
- 1 pound small round yellow potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinches of red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 12-inch tortillas
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage, optional, for color and crunch
- 9 scrambled eggs
- ¾ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, for squeezing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the potatoes onto the sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, the smoked paprika, and pinches of red pepper flakes. Toss to coat, spread evenly on the pan, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp around the edges.
- Heat a grill pan on the stove to medium heat. Place the red pepper on the pan and let it char for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the pepper is soft and each side has black grill marks. Alternatively, you can roast it in the oven until soft. Remove from the grill, remove the stem and ribbing, and slice the pepper into strips.
- Assemble the burritos: Divide the spinach leaves and red cabbage, if using, among the tortillas. Top with the scrambled eggs, red pepper strips, black beans, pico de gallo, potatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime. Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla over the filling. Fold the bottom flap of the burrito up and over the filling, tucking the sides and the filling as you roll the burrito. Wrap in foil, slice, and serve with Cilantro Lime Dressing for dipping.
To make these burritos in advance, I recommend wrapping them in foil and storing them in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. Or better yet, make the components in advance and wrap them as you’re ready to eat. I personally don’t enjoy frozen/thawed eggs, so I don’t suggest freezing these.